Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Next Best Thing Challenge, Week 10


Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing. 
Week 10

How this works: There are ten interview questions.  I'll answer those for Come Home to Me and then tag five more authors.  They'll each tag five more, and so on.  Here are the interview questions as applied to my book. Special thanks to Jacquie Rogers who tagged me—check out her blog to see her Next Big Thing.

 
What is the working title of your book?
The working title used to be Come Home Boy, but on the advise of one of my beta readers, I changed it to Come Home To Me. It is Book 1 in my new series – the Second Chances Time Travel Romance Series (a mouthful, I know)

Where did the idea come from for the book?
The idea for the main character, Jake Owens, came from a song by country music artist Eric Church. The title of the song is Homeboy. It’s the story (the song, not my book) of a man asking his brother to please come back to his country roots after he runs away and gets involved with a gang in the big city.

What genre does your book fall under?
I don’t think it fits under one particular genre – it’s a historical western, a time travel, a romance…so lets just call it a historical western time travel romance.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I have no clue. I rarely watch TV, and I don’t remember the last movie I’ve been to see. So I can’t even think of any actors who would fit the bill for my characters.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
In one sentence? You’re kidding, right? OK, here goes…..
Jake Owens gets sent back in time for a second chance to turn his life around, but pioneer woman Rachel Parker might prove to be a far bigger challenge than the assignment he's been given. 

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Self-published

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It’s still a work-in-progress. So far, eight weeks. This is the second-longest it has ever taken me to write a book. I have to do a lot of research for this story. Much, much more than I had to do for my five previous books.

 What other books would you compare this story to within your        genre?
I hope it’s unique enough to not get compared to other books. I suppose any wagon train western romance, or time travel romance set in the old west might be a loose comparison. Since I started writing, I tend to read very few books that might be remotely similar to mine. That way I don’t get influenced by other stories, and can just make up my own.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
The inspiration came from, as I already mentioned, the song Homeboy by Eric Church. I also wanted to break away from the series I’ve been writing for over a year, and try something completely new and out of my comfort zone.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I’m hoping it’s unique enough in the time travel genre to interest people to give it a try. I tend to stay away from the usual time travel portals used in other books, and keep it simple and uncomplicated. 

Here are the five authors I'm tagging:
Kirsten Arnold

Rules

***Answer the ten questions about your current WIP (Work In Progress) ***
Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them. It’s that simple.

Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing
  1. What is the working title of your book?
  2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
  3. What genre does your book fall under?
  4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
  5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
  6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
  7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
  8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
  9. Who or What inspired you to write this book?
  10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

4 comments:

  1. Peggy, you're Next Big Thing sounds really exciting! I hope the story writes itself for you. :) That way, we can read it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy! Love the cover and the title! I'm fortunate to be able to get a glance at the new series and I love it! I think it's full of heart, compelling, and completely unique. Jake Owens is a hero after my own heart. I'm looking forward to reading the entire thing once it comes out. Peggy has a wonderful writer's voice and I cannot wait to see where she takes this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy this sounds like another great series. Love the premise!

    --Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love time travel stories and your title is such a good choice. It's nice that you have a whole series.You're right about having just the right, and hopefully unique, way of traveling to another time. It can make the story seem hokey or too contrived if it's not right. I wish you every success and I will try give your series a try.

    ReplyDelete